The Glenbrook community is located on Glenbrook Bay, on Nevada’s East shore and is within 30 minutes driving distance to downtown Incline Village, South Lake Tahoe, and Carson City.
Glenbrook is a historic community and during its heyday was the site of a small town by the same name. The first notable settlement in the area was that of Captain Augustus Pray, who settled the area in 1860 along with squatters N.E. Murdock, G.W. Warren, and Rufus Walton, two years later he would buy out these squatter claims.
Pray harvested wild hay, which was so plentiful, that he had a harvester brought over the Sierras from San Francisco to harvest it. In 1861, Pray, Charles R. Barrett and Joseph D. Winters build water-powered sawmill at the south end of Glenbrook Bay. Pray obtained title from the U.S. government for 1,000 acres for timber in 1862.
This growing demand caused by the discovery of the silver Comstock Lode in 1859 and the subsequent need for lumber to provide the square set posts to shore up the mines and for construction of the boomtown of Virginia City. Lumber became the major industry of this little town and no person had a greater impact on it than Duane Leroy Bliss.
D.L. Bliss Henry along with partners Marvin Yerington, and Darius Ogden Mills form Yerington, Bliss & Co. purchased 7,000acres and began lumber operations, consolidated mills and constructing flumes and railroads to bring lumber down to Carson City. Carson Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company grew to include 50,000 acres of timber and 80,000 acres of virgin timberland was cut to produce 750 million board feet of lumber, and 500 thousand cords of wood. This led Dan Dequille (William Wright) in the “History of the Big Bonanza” to write “The Comstock lode may truthfully be said to be the tomb of the forests of the Sierras.”
By 1882, Glenbrook boasted three hotels, a store, a saloon, piers, a railroad, a livery stable, a post office, machine shops, and several sawmills. This growth was not to last however.As silver production in the Comstock dwindled, so too did Glenbrook. Through out the early 1900’s, the Bliss family slowly divested itself from of much of its holdings in land, lumber, and transportation but still maintained a foothold in Glenbrook. The community of Glenbrook transitioned into resort and ranching community. Without the timber economy, Lake Tahoe was redefined as a resort community and competition between the many resorts such as the Tallac Casino, Tahoe Tavern, Brockaway Springs Resort, Camp Richardson, Al Tahoe Inn and others competed for affluent summer visitors.
The Glenbrook Inn which was opened in 1906 which incorporated two existing hotels the Lakeshore House and the Jellerson House. In 1926 Glenbrook’s 9 hole golf course was constructed. A 1929 ad for the Glenbrook Inn and Ranch read “Amusements at Glenbrook, Lake Tahoe, include fine nine-hole all grass golf course, tennis, bathing, boating, fishing, riding and hiking over wonderful mountain trails. Have own dairy of tuberculin tested cows, electricity, phone and telegraph connections.” Sometime in the 1940’s the ranch became home to the Glenbrook Rodeo, which ran annually until the 1965. The ranch’s current owner brought this annual tradition back to life in 2000 as a of a fundraiser for Keep Memory Alive which supports the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health in Las Vegas, NV and has featured food from renowned chef Emeril Lagasse, and guests such as Robin Williams, Ray Romano, John O’Hurley, and Sammy Hagar.
Tahoe slowly changed and the old Tahoe summer lodges and lost favor to newer year-round hotel casinos. The Glenbrook Inn was closed in 1975 when it was purchased by the R.T. Nahas Company and the portion formally known as the Jellerson House was subsequently subdivided into lakefront townhouses while the Lake Shore House was restored to it’s pre 1906 appearance.
In 1975 R. T. Nahas Company purchased approximately 750 acres of land in the Glenbrook area planned for the development of 350 residential units, with 68 townhomes located around Pray Meadow. According to the planned unit development on file with Douglas County and the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, only 150 acres of the total 750 acres is planned for development. Approximately 99% of the single-family residential lots and all of the townhomes have already been developed.
The Glenbrook Home Owners Association (HOA) is a planned unit development that consists of high quality custom homes, and townhouses. Its amenities include a sandy beach, homeowner’s pier, several tennis courts, gated private roads with seasonally guarded access, and a private nine-hole golf course. The homes constructed within the HOA incorporated lots typically range from 3,000 square feet to an excess of 8,000 square feet, while the townhomes typically consist of approximately 2,100 square feet of space.
The Glenbrook HOA has stringent guidelines provided by it’s CC&R’s ensure homes meet high standards of construction and design through its architectural review board. Other restrictions such as setbacks, buildable coverage on lots within the HOA, have helped create a community consisting of high quality homes that fit within the style of community as a whole, while still maintaining the ability for builders to produce a home that is unique in character according to the owner’s wishes.
Because of these restrictions by both the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency and the Glenbrook HOA, much of the area is incapable of being developed and remains as open space. Areas such as the prominent meadows, because of their environmental value, and the golf course, forest service lands, and community beaches cannot be developed. As a result these areas remain open for enjoyment by the community and are an important focus of the existing development for the views they offer.
Not all homes in Glenbrook are part of the association however. 202 Pine Tree Lane is one such property that lies out side of the association and therefore is free of HOA restrictions. While these homes are not part of the association and are not obligated to pay dues, they benefit from much of the benefits afforded to association members such as use of common areas, restricted community access, HOA road maintenance and snow removal.